Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Vinnie Drum sound

  1. #1
    Inactive Member GoMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2004
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was listening to that song Upside down thats on this website. Vinnies drums sound great. Especialy his toms sound incredible.. they sound so alive. How does he get this sound? I have a pacific CX so i bet I cant really get that sound but how does he do that??

    Also his snare sound on say... Im Tweaked... that sounds really good too... the sound of his drums alone inspire air drumming.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member S.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2004
    Posts
    1,178
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    tell us website so that we can hear the great drum sound my man!!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think he means this website www.houseofdrumming.com featured on the Vinnie page on a tune with Eric Marienthal.

    Yeah great drum sounds! It sounds like one of his Gretch kits with coated Remo Ambassadors for batter heads and clear Ambassadors for resonant heads on the toms.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    those don't sound like coated to me, more then likely they are pinstripes/clear. my guess on the kit is his recording customs, being the era of the recording.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Lorenzini's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2001
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Those are defiantly not coated heads... The Upside Down recording sounds like he used his recording custom kit with clear Emperors or Ambassadors cranked tight. I'm Tweaked was recorded with his blonde Gretsch kit, but who knows what snare he used for that track...

  6. #6
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I re-listened to that recording. I think you're right Randy. The 10" tom, especially, has that clear head ring to it.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Shawn40's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2004
    Posts
    628
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Guys,

    Whatever the drum and drumhead used, Vinnie's maestria is responsible of his sound, and Bernie Kirch too !!!
    And you have to know, maybe you know that Vinnie is himself a pretty good sound engineer, I guess it must help a little bit...

    Peace.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member sjj123's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    328
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    yeah, sounds great.........as does Weckl's sound almost all the time

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Lorenzini's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2001
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree with you Rodge... In addition to that, Vinnie has a continuity to his sound which is projected from any kit he plays. His technique and attack project a certain tonal quality that is his own.
    I have mixed emotions about Weckl's sound. Although one of the most technically gifted musicians in the history of the instrument, his attack at times is not pleasing to my ear. Irregardless of my opinion, Weckl is another drummer that exerts his own tonal quality just by the way he hits a drum.
    Just because you may have the same drums, heads, cymbals, and have the same basic tuning as Vinnie or Weckl does not automatically mean that you are going to be able to achieve the same tonal quality. Technique + Attack + Dynamics + Drum + Head Combination + Tuning = X

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Shawn40's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2004
    Posts
    628
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Rodge again,

    I would like to say that my favorite Vinnie'sound come from the first Patitucci's album and also from the sessions that Vinne did for Grp at this period...

    It was a sound dry, fat and hot.
    Yamaha Recording or his Gretsch yellow ?
    I don't know but it was good !!!
    Also until then Vinnie is still using sometimes the Zildjian K/Z hi-hat, remember everybody ?...

    But I'm not fan of his sound with Sting that I find pretty "cold"...
    Maybe it's from the music, but I think that it's the Hugh Padgham's sound who is like this.
    We can hear this same kind of sound in the Vinnie's record too even if on some title like "Slink" the sound is more a warm.

    Anyway, whatever the sound, Vinnie is one the reason...

    Peace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •